I love romance...lesbians do it the best.
Before my girlfriend and I became an official couple she took me to a tea house I've been seeing on TikTok for years. My braider told me she did a workshop here years ago and it was always on my bucket list to go.
Tea at Shiloh is a paid reservation only community based tea house. Based in Art district, Downtown Los Angeles California. Very cozy shoeless intimate vibe for solo dates, friendships, or dates. They have special selection of tea offered at every event and it is unlimited throughout your entire stay. They offer Day and Late night sessions Thursday-Sunday that are priced differently. Daytime sessions (10AM-3PM) are typically $35. During the daytime it is a relaxing calm vibe perfect for reading, journaling, sketching/any art activities or chatting quietly. Laptops are restricted here; I love that so much honestly. It would be amazing to do work here but I love that it is restricted be it forces us to be in the moment and actually socialize. The late night events do range differently starting at $42 and can go up to $46 on the weekends. They offer live music, unlimited tastings on the selected tea, tarot readings, gaming cards, and a slow night life.
So what the hell does this have to do with being lesbian?
Well everything!
My girlfriend and I were simply friends at the time and she fully surprised me with us hanging out here. It was so cute because she wouldn't tell me when we were on the way. She was so cute and nervous when we were on the way. It took us forever to find the door because it was hidden so we were running around like a chicken with our heads cut off haha. When we walked in I remember looking at her so happily bc shut the entire fuck up! NO WAY!! You just casually pulled this out of your pocket like it was nothing! It was so simple for her...so easy...the way she was nervous if I would like it or not was the cherry on top.
The entire night was filled with laughter, intimate talks and a cute confession from me; we played we are not really strangers and got to the nitty gritty. When you have a crush on someone I highley recommend playing this game. "give your partner a hug. not the crappy kind. A warm and fluffy one." WELL. Was it nice and fluffy? HAHAHA probably not, because we were so awkward but it still felt fluffy in my heart. The questions really make you dig deep and open your heart up. "how does one earn your vulnerability? Have I earned it? How can I earn more?" or "What's our most important similarity?" Such an intimate moment between us that made me like her even more. My stomach was filled with butterflies and I felt so overly euphoric.
Everyone that was in this establishment were women. One straight couple. That's it. Women yearn for community, deep feelings, and a bonding shared moment. When you're a lesbian things like that come naturally. We don't complain we just do. I see TikTok all the time talking about how women will plan a cute date with their friends easily and quickly. Women know effort and we put in effort with each other. Now the question arises...Why are straight men never held to the same standards when they're with their girlfriends. Straight women will complain about their boyfriends doing XYZ and never leaving. There's always this trope "overly dressed girlfriend and underdressed boyfriend" but if someone's homegirl came underdressed while they were overdressed the friendship would be at stake. Why do we as women hold ourselves to a higher standard than we hold men? Men are always complaining about paying for dinner and "never getting anything in return". Women hinting over and over again about wanting a "Boo-Basket for fall' and never getting one. Straight women need to realize they ARE the prize and to stop letting low minimun effort pass by. Stop centering men and life will feel free. Men have no excuse to date poorly because the world was built around them.
When lesbians date it isn't about what can I get in return. A date I go on with my girlfriend is almost 100% something I'd do with my friends! Hell we were friends at the time; I would absolutely take my best friends to Tea at Shiloh!! What an amazing way to bond with someone who matters to you. This post isn't to over romanticize lesbian relationships because homophobia is real and rampant. I'm lucky to live in Los Angeles, California. I'm lucky to be born into a family with elder gay and lesbian representation. So I do have it easier than say someone who lives in small town Missouri. That being said, even in sunny California I still get stares at people staring at my girlfriend and I. Especially because we are two black lesbians at that. DOUBLE WHAMMY!! Lesbians already had to put up a fight. Black lesbians had to put up an even bigger fight. So yeah, I am going to love out loud and date properly because we couldn't before. The effort is there for all the lesbian sisters who had to hide their relationships before we were LEGAL. The point of the entire post is Lesbians have to deal with hatred, stares, and so much more. We do romance better because we couldn't before.
xoxo,
Starra .𖥔 ݁ ˖ ✦ ‧₊˚ ⋅




beautiful post 🤍
ReplyDelete